Friday, July 6, 2012

Action 8: Little to BIG

Welcome!
Next time you are in a public bathroom, watch out for the crazy woman.
She is the one who washes her hands for an entire two minutes and then starts all over, because it's not good enough.
That’s me.
Yes, you are reading the blog of a crazy woman – although, I promise it is only temporary.
I just finished taking a class on Microbiology.

Thus the obsessive hand washing.

I learned bacteria are brilliant.
They have no brain.
They are tiny.
And yet they are smarter than me.

They know, ‘little’ is enough.
My problem is, that unless I am absolutely certain I can accomplish the BIG stuff, I don’t even get started.  Why waste my energy?  It’s impossible!  Right?
Bacteria say, “NOT!”
They know, it’s all in the numbers.
The action of one … becomes two …. becomes eight …. 32 …. 189 ….2,242 …. 2,460,829 …. 4,225,988 ....
They know this INSTINCTIVELY!  (and I keep forgetting)

It all starts with ‘little’.
On Thursday I danced around the house celebrating the Supreme Court Decision on Health Care.
That's little.
On Friday I DID NOT FORGET to bring my reusable shopping bags!
That's little.
On Saturday my friend and I walked our dogs.  Remember the volleyball story and voting?     YES, we are still friends!
On Sunday I talked to my kids about an interesting show on NPR about the astronomical US beef consumption.
On Monday I forwarded a silly (although exceptionally insightful) blog to a friend. (hint, hint…)
On Tuesday I saw a great bumper sticker that said, ‘Got hope?’ and I told the guy in the car ‘Yes, we can!’  (We both grew an inch!)

I've decided to learn from the brilliance of bacteria.
I'll do a ‘little’.
And more often than not, that’s enough, ‘cause we are doing it together.

Yours truly,  Bena
P.S. Next week I will introduce you to one of my favorite (imaginary) friends.  
And yes, they too can change the world!


Peep and the Parade    by Bena
_________________________________________________________________________________

Coming up next .... with a bit of attitude.
_________________________________________

No comments: