Friday, June 29, 2012

Action 6: Celebrate


(Change of plans.  I’ll do the ‘Era of Bush’ another day.)
TODAY I CELEBRATE

Tomorrow I’ll face the facts.
Within hours of the Supreme Court decision to uphold national health care, Mitt Romney received a surge of campaign funding.  (Millions, millions, millions)

That about sums it up:   NOVEMBER!

Recently, my friend and I walked our dogs.  I mentioned, “November."  
She said, “You know, I don’t DO politics!”
I said, “But ….” 
She said, “This time I won’t even VOTE!” 
I sputtered, “BUT …”
She said, “It’s too frustrating! You drive me nuts.  Let’s talk about something else.”
And so we did.

Which was a really stupid thing to do … on my part.

So, now I am going to practice what I’ll say NEXT TIME WE WALK OUR DOGS.

I’ll say, “I love church picnics." 
(She’ll like that.  She worries about my salvation.)  
I’ll say, “I love church picnics, because the sun is hot, the food is good and everyone is really nice to me”.  (Oh well, she won’t like that.)  
I’ll continue, “The only thing I hated as a teenager was the volleyball.  
I always insisted, ‘I don’t DO volleyball!’  Without fail, I was told, 
you eat, you play.  Soon a ball would buzz by my ears, bounce off my forehead, and smack me in the nose.  I stuck to my guns.  
I DID NOT PLAY VOLLEYBALL!  
And yet, by standing there stiff as a board, I was, without question, the biggest influence on the final score. 
End of story.
So, here is my (obvious) point.
If you are a warm body in the USA, over the age of 18, YOU DO POLITICS, regardless of whether you vote, or NOT.  By not voting you have shifted the score.  By not voting you have contributed to what happens to your job, your unemployment, your social security, oil drilling, wind energy, whether your grandkids suffocate on our cazillian dollar national dept AND WHETHER, IF YOU ARE ONE OF THREE WOMEN IN THE USA, WHO WILL HAVE A DIAGNOSES OF CANCER IN YOUR LIFETIME, YOU MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE.” 
That’s what I’ll say.
And for good measure, I’ll add,
“You DO politics, regardless of whether you vote or NOT!”

And guess what!?!  I am pretty sure, we’ll still be friends.

Now, I must say, I am a bit curious about what you will say next time you hear, “NOVEMBER.”

Yours truly,  Bena
Have a great weekend and (may I suggest) share Peep with a friend.

Peep and the Parade    by Bena
______________________________________________________________________________________________


Today I Celebrate .......... Join me if you'd like!
_________________________________________________


1 comment:

Maureen said...

Woot! I celebrate with you and all the other peeps!