Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Action 19: Peep UP

Welcome!
Over the last year I decided to ignore (more often)
that irritating voice in the back of my head that insists,

…. don’t look stupid
…. don’t be annoying
…. don’t do this, ‘cause it’s not nice
…. and they won’t like you!


I have become a pain in the butt, and learned it’s actually a lot of fun.

I call them my Peep UP! moments.

Here is an example:

Last week, I walked into our supermarket.  

With me, I had fifty cazillion empty cans to stuff individually into those crunch machines.  
crunch …crunch …crunch

Twenty-three cans were spat right back out at me. 
The crunch machine informed me that ‘the store does not accept these items.’  

FOR MY CUSTOMER CONVENIENCE,
there were FOUR HUGE TRASH CANS
 right next to the crunch machines, 
DESTINED FOR THE LANDFILL.

So, I did what I ALWAYS do.

I did what EVERYONE does.

I stuffed my 23 empty cans into the FOUR HUGE TRASH CANS along with the hundreds of other rejects.
  
I stared at this sticky mess for a moment.
Then I changed my mind.

I pulled my 23 cans back out of the trash.  (Yes!  Disgusting to the MAX.)
Then I went in search of the manager.

I smiled,
introduced myself, 
and said to the manager, “I have GREAT new idea ....

How about a RECYCLING BIN 
next to those FOUR HUGE trash cans?”

I continued to smile.
Obviously, I am brilliant!

He told me, "This would increase store overhead.”

I said, “That’s OK.”

He said, "The store would pass the cost down to me."

I said, “That’s OK.”

He said, “Until legislation is passed and made into law,
THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN!”

I was still smiling …..  really … although it was getting a little harder.

I said, “I guess I will need to walk ALL around your store with my cart full of dirty, sticky cans, while I shop for my groceries, in order to deposit my dirty, sticky cans in my recycling bin at home.”

I wished him a good day …. smiled some more …. and pushed my cart to grab a few groceries.

The end.


You may ask, what’s the point?

The point is,

When I am a pain in the butt, nothing changes.
When we are ALL a pain in the butt, EVERYTHING changes.

The possibilities are endless!

Yours truly,  Bena

Peep and the Parade by Bena
______________________________________________________________
  Peep UP!  …… smiling is optional. 
_____________________________________

No comments: